Article,

Cosplay Corner: Interview with Morganna Bramah

December 31, 2019 Kate Sykes 0 Comments



Happy New Year’s Eve, everyone!
It’s been a while and there’s been a delay with this piece due to technical difficulties but to end the year off, we're back at the Cosplay Corner with a very special interview to share with you!
Meet Morganna - cosplayer, model and former Lara Croft look-a-like.
I first met Morganna at Manchester MCM 2015. My family and I were being shown to the outdoor lift/elevator at the end of day and I heard a voice shout “Lara!” I look round and there was Batgirl smiling at me. We took a photo together and it wasn’t until connecting on Facebook afterwards that she mentioned that she was a professional real-life Lara Croft look-a-like in the 90s.
Today, she graciously shares her story.
TDD: How did you originally decide to become a look-a-like?
MB: I was spotted by a Man called Mustafa Isilay while browsing in his comic book store, in an old long-gone independent shopping emporium called: ‘The Coliseum’ in Manchester back in 1998, I was 18, broke, and in Art College studying Graphic Design.
He was busy organising the city’s first ever Comic Convention, and was telling me all about how he wanted the entire cast of Star Wars there, and if I had done any modelling work before. I had only been involved in one fashion show at that point, at my then boyfriend’s experimental wearable cardboard Art Degree show (where he made me an incredible ballgown made entirely of wired triangles!), but hadn’t done anything more serious than that. I had been in a music video, and had appeared in a few tiny background spots on TV, but pretended I was WAY more professional to him, as I was very intrigued to hear what he was pitching.
He had heard of a Japanese craze called Cosplay, and how they would bring famous cartoon characters to life, and asked would I be interested in working for him at the event. I said yes immediately!
He looked all around his merch’ and memorabilia packed store, and looking at my face. His eyes kept landing on a Lara Croft display in the back corner. He said: “You have her high cheekbones and square jawline, can you give me the Tomb Raider?”
I thought he was crazy! I was a very slim young pale thing, with not much by way of a chest at all, and had long bleached blond hair, I felt so unbelievably humbled! I knew, as a fan of the games, the mammoth task I had ahead to bring that iconic, dynamic sex symbol to life.
Photography by Ingrid Rosson.
TDD: Can you tell us about how your costume was designed?
MB: Mustafa contacted a lady called Jenny, 9 months after my intense workout regimen to get the athletic body proportions, who made costumes for Theatre productions to make the initial base outfit for me.
I went to Her beautiful apartment one evening with all my research, to discuss my final designs, and get measured up and fitted. ‘Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft’ was the popular title being played during my research, so we worked to bring this version of the iconic gaming Heroine to life:

MB: I also wanted to combine elements of the incredible Nell McAndrew, who was the World’s official living Lara Croft at that time. Her style and attitude was so beautiful, captivating, powerful, sexy and charismatic. She looked like She had stepped right out of the game and became flesh! And, next to the mighty Angelina Jolie, is still my favourite Woman to have ever donned the costume to this day. She also brought amazing warmth to the sassy character, and was often reported in gaming magazines and the like (this was literally right before the Internet became a household tool) going out of Her way to be gracious to fans and sign items for them. Friendly yet fierce. Something that was a little lost in the incantations that proceeded Her I felt.

MB: I was also crazy in love with the way the Comic Artist Michael Turner, of the famed Top Cow Comics: ‘Witchblade’ series, would draw Her! From the hip exposing high-cut sports top, combined with those incredible defined arms and abs, to Her clawed attitude leaden stiletto nails, gave real strength and weight to our Lady!

MB: So we got to work choosing versatile fabrics that would allow the character to look as realistic as possible, while still retraining the computer generated textures. We ditched the latex look of the top of Nell’s outfit for a breathable shiny sports fabric, found khaki toned pleather to make those little shorts seem computer generated, and She made me a full padded set of pleather holsters to give an exaggerated cartoon~esque style.

I made my own backpack, gloves, and sourced the right Dr. Martens boots in Brown (fitted with inner leg-lengthening lifts I made from rubber heeled sandals), with the cream laces, and matching cream bandana for my hair, plus braid finishing elastic, and shades I found in a charity shop.

The biggest challenge with the costume was creating Her famous killer rack, so to speak. I had enough to create the cleavage with a Wonderbra, but the rest was shaped with layers and layers of shoulder-pads, in increasing sizes (5 sets in total!) sculpted round with a thin yet structural and tight jogging top, to smooth them into very believable, but Lara’s totally static, in-game breasts.    

I think the end result worked very well, especially after I learned how to get the makeup right, had tanned, and dyed my hair Her warm shade of chocolate brunette and got that polygon “sausage string effect” Lara braid just the right length with a braiding hair extension.   

I also practised Her walk, motions, mannerisms, voice, and can still sign Her signature to this day!


TDD: What kind of events did you do as Lara?
MB: Manchester’s first ever Comicon held at the formally named G-Mex Centre, now called the Manchester Central Convention Complex in 1999, Manchester’s cult geek heaven: ‘Fab Café’s 1st Birthday Party, Birmingham NEC’s 1999 Comicon (pictured above), Manchester City FC’s ‘Junior Blues’ anniversary event, and other miscellaneous corporate events, appearances and parties.  
TDD: How long were you a look-a-like for?
MB: Just a year! Eidos Interactive had discovered I was working as the character after an article was sent to them which was released in the Manchester Evening News earlier that year (made the morning front cover!), and they sent me a ‘Cease and Desist’ order in late November 1999, listing my likeness and profits from such as illegal. I was threatened with court action if I continued from that date. It was over, and I honestly had no idea I was breaking any laws as I was still a bit of a naïve Teen.

TDD: Is there a memory from that time that stands out in your mind?
MB: Just happy Children geeking out over seeing something that was so new and surreal to them at that time, as Cosplay hadn’t become the common staple it is now, and their shock, awe and delight! Especially when they asked me for help on the games as I knew a few of the secrets. 😉 Some Adults had amazing reactions towards me, too! My favourite day in the outfit though was a full day spent with an incredible Photographer called Ingrid Rosson, who I met from the Fab Café event, adventuring around the Manchester City centre seeing what mischief we could get up to. I climbed things, posed with things, even went to Virgin Megastores and posed next to a Lara promotional standee.
Everyone that day made me feel like a Star, and the photographs were absolutely stunning!
Photography by Ingrid Rosson.
Photography by Ingrid Rosson.
Photography by Ingrid Rosson.
Photography by Ingrid Rosson.
TDD: Do you ever think about putting the boots on again?
MB: I wish I could wear that exact pair, but they got stolen at the very last event I did. But, I have Cosplayed a casual blond version of Her at a Halloween bash in 2005, and a more Gothic black haired Angelina inspired Lara at MCM’s Manchester Comicon in 2012!
I would absolutely dress as Her again, and intend to very soon, only, with a much more muscular take on the character.  I still own most of the original outfit. 😊
Photography by Mark Boadey.

Thank you so much to Morganna for taking the time to do this interview! See you in 2020, raiders!


You Might Also Like

0 comments: