Article,

COSPLAY CORNER: INTERVIEW WITH BÁRA KROSSTEIG

March 08, 2023 Kate Sykes 1 Comments

 
Original photo by Kami Renee

Happy International Women’s Day, everyone!
Today, I’m happy to introduce my next Cosplay Corner guest, Bára Krossteig! 
Bára is a longtime Tomb Raider fan and cosplayer and in 2016, she was chosen to be Denmark’s official Lara Croft Cosplay Ambassador for the 20th anniversary celebrations.
Welcome, Bára!

TDD: How did you first discover Lara Croft?
BK: I watched my brother play one of the first Tomb Raider games, I don't remember which one specifically, and I was in awe of Lara's courage and acrobatics. She was so cool!  My second encounter was with the 2013 reboot and I fell in love all over again, with a very different character, though she was still courageous and acrobatic!

TDD: What does the character and franchise mean to you?
BK: Lara is a badass leading lady in a video game, which back when I played the game, was quite rare. She's also vulnerable, which can be a bit tough to balance. She's an icon within my favourite media, and she has also brought me friends from all over the world!

Photography: Julie Rønberg.

TDD: Favourite Tomb Raider game?
BK: The 2013 reboot or Underworld!

TDD: Favourite outfit Lara wears?
BK: I think her jacket in Rise of The Tomb Raider has a special place in my heart!

TDD: How did you assemble your Lara costumes?
BK: For the 2013 reboot outfit, I made the trousers from a pattern I had lying around, then I bought a white cotton tank top and dyed it. Both trousers and top were weathered and bloodied once they were done.  For the Rise of The Tomb Raider outfit, I found some lovely green fabric on sale and made the jacket from a t-shirt pattern I always used back then. I added buttons, a hood and weathered it. Fun fact: I never got around to make button holes for the jacket, since it's held together by a belt.  I made the belt out of craft foam and pleather and reused my 2013 reboot trousers.

Photography: Julie Rønberg

TDD: What was the most difficult piece to make?
BK: I think the trousers back in the day. I had never made any trousers with a functioning zipper.
Now, it would be easier for me, but I'm so proud of how they turned out based on my skill set back then. 

TDD: How was your experience as a cosplay ambassador?
BK: It was incredible! The people at the Square Enix booth were so nice and after the event, I got to go to Paris for the Guinness world record attempt for the most people dressed as Lara Croft in one place!

Bára assisting at Paris Games Week 2016 for the successful record attempt alongside French Official Cosplay Ambassadors Kara Cosplay (middle) and Max TRS Cosplay (right)

TDD: Favourite moment while cosplaying?
BK: I think when a mother daughter duo came up to me and the mother told me about how her daughter was the outdoorsy type, who loved archeology. I could just see the next Tomb Raider come to life before me, it was so nice!

TTD: Would you cosplay Lara Croft again in the future?
BK: I have big plans to play Shadow of The Tomb Raider when I have more time and get over my fear of fictional enemies in fictional water, haha! I'd love to check out some of Lara's outfits from that game!

Photography: Julie Rønberg

Thank you so much to Bára for taking the time to answer these questions!
If you’d like to see more of her cosplays, you can follow her on Instagram @hadleythebadger

You Might Also Like

1 comment: