Article,

COSPLAY CORNER: INTERVIEW WITH AMEL AKA HARSAPHES COSPLAY

May 04, 2023 Kate Sykes 0 Comments

 

We’re back in the Cosplay Corner with a new guest!
Meet Amel from France who has been cosplaying as Lara Croft since 2015. I always love seeing her new pictures when they appear in my timeline so I’m glad she agreed to do this interview today.

Kate: When did you first discover Lara Croft? 
Amel: I discovered Lara I think when I was in the car with my dad. I had heard about a game where the heroine was on an island in Japan. I liked the idea so I asked him to buy it for me but he [ordered] the wrong one, so I played Tomb Raider Underworld and I loved it! Then Tomb Raider Reborn came the next day and I doubly loved it!

Kate: What made you decide to start cosplaying?
Amel: Just playing Tomb Raider Reborn, I found her outfit quite nice at the time (yes, even with the blood) so I searched and I found some Cosplay. That's when I decided to try to make her Cosplay!

Amel on stage at ANIMEST 2018 in her “Shadow of the Tomb Raiderr” costume. Photo by Lionel Erpelding.

Kate: What does Lara’s character mean to you?
Amel: Lara in general is a strong and courageous woman who is not afraid of anything. I had complications from an accident when I was younger, so I kind of clung to this idea of a strong, courageous woman to get through it. And then, since I was immobilised at home, I could only play [video games] to pass the time and especially to forget [reality for a moment], she was there without being there at the same time.

Kate: Favourite Lara Croft costume you’ve made?
My favourite Lara costume is probably the one when she gets out of the prison in “Rise of the Tomb Raider”. It's simple but it's the one I wear most often when I have the chance to wear it! Simple and effective!

Amel as Lara Croft from “Rise of the Tomb Raider”. Photo by Arnaud Buchholzer.
Amel: Though I'm currently working on a “Rise of the Tomb Raider” costume that will require a lot of patience and skill! Since I saw it and acquired it [in the game] I wanted to do a costume and so I finally started it this year to release it next year for a special occasion! Stay tuned!

Kate: What was the most difficult piece to create? 
Amel: The most difficult piece that took me the longest was probably the quiver and bow I carried on a photo shoot. The bow took me a good three months to make with pvc while the quiver took me a good while to make, I wanted this one to be as close as possible to the one in the game so well... When you're meticulous it takes time and then, the final result was pretty good that's probably why I'm planning to make it again!

Amel in the Remnant Jacket outfit from “Rise of the Tomb Raider”.
Kate: Favourite memory while cosplaying Lara?
Amel: My best day was the day when, at Paris Games Week, we made the [Guinness] world record [for the most people dressed as Lara Croft in one place]. I was recovering from a heavy operation so I was on crutches, of course I had asked my doctor if I could before! I remember, Meagan Marie [Crystal Dynamics Director of Community] was not far away, my sister was behind me to accompany me in Cosplay also as Lara, and it was a man in the public who had started to applaud me followed by others encouraging me and shouting "It is a real Lara, bravo!” I will remember this moment for the rest of my life because I had stood for more than 6 hours on crutches, leaning weakly on my leg to walk. I could never thank this gentleman enough for these words because even today it’s still with me. 

Kate: I’ve seen that you’ve done quite a lot of stage performances at conventions. 
Do you enjoy it and do you ever feel nervous? 
Amel: Indeed! I do a lot of stage work, I really enjoy showing some quality of performance when I get on stage! I go there mostly for the knowledge and to improve myself, it's always nice to learn more about our costumes with help! And if not, I’m rarely nervous before going on stage. I'm there to have fun!

Amel performing on stage at Geek Days 2016 in her “Tomb Raider: Legend” costume. Photo by Nicolas Bayart.
Kate: Are you planning any new Lara cosplays?
Amel: Very good question! Yes, I even have two scheduled, including one for something quite important and that will require a lot of concentration, as I will be in a group with a Sofia (Rise of the Tomb Raider)! The other one is a little secret, it will not be linked to the future games unfortunately! I'm waiting like everyone else for an announcement! But a lot of old!

Thank you to Amel for doing this interview! You can find more of her work on InstagramFacebook and Twitter!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: